Wednesday 10 March 2010

Thing 14 Linked In

Linked in was the only thing on 23 things that, not only was I not already a part of, but hadn't even come across and, after my time playing around with it, I can see why.

I can see the point of it, just like I see the point of uploading a CV to somewhere like monster - if you've got a big impressive work history, your job is reliant on who you know (which lets face it, most are) and your are on the hunt for something particular. But I'm not. I know what I want to do, know how to get there, and know that using a site like linked in is going to be very little help.

A couple of fellow trainees have offered opinions about it being hard to navigate because, as with all these things, the users define the company names and not everyone agrees. I've only just realised that the reason I coudn't find anyone who shared my workplace is because everyone else was putting the Uni and I put the library service.

I imagine for the 'creating a network' idea to work, I'd need to put a lot of work in, going out to find people because I don't know that many would come find me. It's popular, but it's not that huge (afterall I hadn't heard of it and I spend far too much time on the internet).

Overall I was completely underwhelmed by Linkedin. At first I thought it was just me, but I've seen other people now who feel the same, which has cemented my opinion that - for me atleast - it would be a waste of time completing my profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment