Tuesday 23 March 2010

Thing 17&18 - Wikis

My experience with wikis is somewhat limited.

A couple of months ago, I signed up for a PBWorks account, so I could add my name to the 'Library Day in a Life' list, and when I was much younger I had a mini-meltdown at an incorrect hobbit fact on wikipedia which I rectified, but this is as far as its gone. I use wikipedia all the time, it's up there with IMDB in my favourite sites for 'random facts I must check *now*' but as with everything I use online - I am a bystander not a participator.

For Thing 17 I did have a look round the socialouls.wetpaint, though I didn't edit anything because I couldn't find anything that needed it. I looked at the information they had on wikis, librarything and a couple of oxford case studies. All very interesting, all seemed correct.

Though I don't make huge use of wikis, I believe they can be incredibly useful things to have. A couple of weeks ago, Jess, Helen and Laura gave a presentation on them for a trainee session, and they really opened my eyes to how helpful they can be (and are in both the EFL and the Law Library): go here to read Helen's post on how law makes use of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment